SECTION HIKE DETAILS:
The Grand Enchantment Trail (GET) extends roughly 700-miles from its western terminus in the Superstition Mountains outside Phoenix, Arizona to its eastern terminus in the Sandia Crest Mountains outside Albuquerque, New Mexico. The trail meanders along thorny deserts and forested summits, sheer-walled canyons and deafening silence, ancient cultures and dusty main streets with the challenge and reward of walking through a rugged, little-known landscape.
The Arizona National Scenic Trail (AZT) stretches 800 miles across the entire length of the state to connect deserts, mountains, forests, canyons, wilderness, history, communities and people. This non-motorized trail showcases Arizona’s diverse vegetation, wildlife and scenery, as well as unique historic and cultural sites.
We will be hiking approximately 111-miles as a section hike of these two trails. Approximately 35-miles will be on the GET and the remaining 85-miles on the AZT. We will average approximately 10 to 12 miles per day in rolling and occasional steep terrain with one town stop in the middle of the hike. All hikers will be rewarded with immersion in the daily hiking routine, including self-care, orienteering skills and Leave No Trace principles.
The Trip Leader for this hike will not necessarily have PRE-scouted the entire route prior to departure.
Appendix A – Trip Sketch – GET and AZT Section Hike – click the link for a printable document.
*End-to-End Hike – March 17-30, 2018
$1,800 per person
*Leg One – March 17-24, 2018
$1,200 per person
*Minimum three hikers, maximum five hikers – please do not make any airline reservations
before receiving confirmation that the offering is a go – this hike will not be offered if there are not three confirmed backpackers.
* Our end-to-end hike pricing is competitive and all-inclusive from airport pick-up on Saturday, March 17th to airport drop-off on Thursday, March 30th. Once you arrive to the airport your only expenses should be meals when not in the field and souvenirs.
* Lodging, double occupancy included – pre-hike and post-hike evenings in Phoenix, Arizona and mid-hike town stop in Apache Lake, Arizona. A mandatory Meet and Greet will be held at 3p on May 17th. We will use this time to review the itinerary and divide group gear, equipment and food.
* All in the field meals; beginning with lunch on May 18th and concluding with lunch on March 29th, continental breakfast at lodging facilities when available.
* Transportation to and from trailheads for active hikers.
* Permit and campsite fees when required.
* Bootleg data book and shared map set for all registrants.
* All essential group gear and equipment – personal gear and equipment as requested.
* Additional per day details will be updated.
* Daily mileage ranging from 10 to 12-miles.
* Average temperatures for Tonto National Forest – low 44-48-degrees and high 67-76-degrees.
* Campsites will be chosen daily (unless required otherwise by public land agencies), water sources unreliable, weather conditions unknown.
* Leave No Trace practices will be followed throughout the hike.
CANCELLATION POLICY FOR THIS SECTION HIKE:
This offering requires an increased non-refundable application fee of $350.
Extended adventures or adventures designed out of the traditional use area of Step Outdoors, require special permitting application and fees and will require a higher non-refundable application fee. These trips are designed for a specific goal (in this case a longer backpacking experience) with per person rate in congruence with being in the field for the time designed. Individuals who withdraw from a backpacking adventure, once it has begun, receive no refund or course credit and are responsible for their own lodging, meals and transportation when not in the field. Further, the cancelling individual is responsible for any and all costs of lodging and meals of the Trip Leader needed or required because of individual withdraw.
• More than 60 days before course start date: 100% of course fee minus the non-refundable application fee.
• Less than 59 days but more than 21 days: 50% of course fee minus the non-refundable application fee.
• Less than 20 days: No refund, nonetheless 50% of the course fee can be credited towards another course offered within the next 12-months.
• Less than 7 days: No refund or course credit.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE:
All course offerings, including dates and location, are subject to change.
Reservations are first request, first reserve.